If you’re sensitive around social situations, feel tired or drained from being around people, or irritated or emotional when you’re around certain places or individuals than chances are you didn’t take your cup of coffee when you woke up right. Lol ok all jokes aside now. But the good thing is you have superhuman abilities known as an empath. You’ve probably kept it to yourself and figured you were just plain sensitive or maybe even hallucinating.
I’ve done the same up until I had direct contact with people, skin to skin contact. It happened when I was about 2 months of opening my spa, I had a friend come visit for my grand opening and she came in for a treatment. We were really happy to see each other and she expressed how excited and happy she was that I opened up my own spa. We chatted for a while, and soon got her on the bed. As she was getting relaxed on the bed, I was customizing her skin products for a professional skin treatment. As I was performing her treatment I soon felt uneasy, irritated and angry. I asked my friend if she was alright as I was cleansing her skin and how she was doing, she said she was ok, but then she mentioned that very morning she was having some situations with her family that she wasn’t very happy with and she was feeling very uneasy and irritated. I consoled her and let her know that she was in a good place and that it’s normal to have those feelings. I was a little experienced with these feelings at this point and thought it was no big deal.
Here’s where it progressed! Soon after she left I had a massive headache like literally after she walked out the door. I had never felt anything like that before and soon felt very sick to my stomach. I thought I was just getting hungry, but that wasn’t the case. It got worse during the next few days. I was irritated, angry and extremely on edge and I couldn’t shake the feeling. I realized something wasn’t right and that these weren’t my feelings.
Luckily being an intuitive/empath came in handy, I knew I needed something but just didn’t know what. I researched soul cleansing and came across Aura Cleansing! Timing worked perfectly that I was able to get a session same day and I immediately felt so much better. The person that cleansed me also informed me that I was an empath and what I experienced was something normal pretty normal. I was like what?? Really?? This was normal??
Since that experience every person I touched or was near I would absorb their emotions and feelings and in fact I needed cleansings pretty frequently after that. I touched so much people at work that cleansing were pretty mandatory for myself as an empath. There are more tips and tricks I’ve discovered that helps with being an empath. Stay tuned on my next post on tips and tricks I’ve discovered to help with being an empath.
Here are 30 traits of empaths by Diane Katherine Author of Seven Secrets of the Sensitive
1. Knowing: Empaths just know stuff, without being told. It’s a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings, even though that is how many would describe the knowing. The more attuned they are the stronger this gift becomes.
2. Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others.
3. Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: This is a huge one for empaths. To some they will feel emotions off those near by and with others they will feel emotions from those a vast distance away, or both. The more adept empath will know if someone is having bad thoughts about them, even from great distance.
4. Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: The more attuned an empath becomes the worse it is and may make it so they eventually have to stop watching TV and reading newspapers altogether.
5. You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it (although many empaths try not to focus on this because knowing a loved one is lying can be painful). Or if someone is saying one thing but feeling/thinking another, you know.
6. Picking up physical symptoms off another: An empath will almost always develop the ailments off another (colds, eye infections, body aches and pains) especially those they’re closest to, somewhat like sympathy pains.
7. Digestive disorders and lower back problems: The solar plexus chakra is based in the centre of the abdomen and it’s known as the seat of emotions. This is where empaths feel the incoming emotion of another, which can weaken the area and eventually lead to anything from stomach ulcers to IBS (too many other conditions to list here). Lower back problems can develop from being ungrounded (amongst other things) and one, who has no knowledge of them being an empath, will almost always be ungrounded.
8. Always looking out for the underdog: Anyone whose suffering, in emotional pain or being bullied draws an empath’s attention and compassion.
9. Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers: An empath can become a dumping ground for everyone else’s issues and problems, which, if they’re not careful can end up as their own.
10. Constant fatigue: Empaths often get drained of energy, either from energy vampires or just taking on too much from others, which even sleep will not cure. Many get diagnosed with ME.
11. Addictive personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, are to name but a few addictions that empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It is a form of self protection in order to hide from someone or something.
12. Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical: Although many empaths would love to heal others they can end up turning away from being healers (even though they have a natural ability for it), after they’ve studied and qualified, because they take on too much from the one they are trying to heal. Especially if they are unaware of their empathy. Anything of a supernatural nature is of interest to empaths and they don’t surprise or get shocked easily.
13. Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination.
14. Love of nature and animals: Being outdoors in nature is a must for empaths and pets are an essential part of their life.
15. Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don’t get quiet time. This is even obvious in empathic children.
16. Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated: Work, school and home life has to be kept interesting for an empath or they switch off from it and end up daydreaming or doodling.
17. Finds it impossible to do things they don’t enjoy: As above. Feels like they are living a lie by doing so. To force an empath to do something they dislike through guilt or labelling them as idle will only serve in making them unhappy. It’s for this reason many empaths get labelled as being lazy.
18. Strives for the truth: This becomes more prevalent when an empath discovers his/her gifts and birthright. Anything untruthful feels plain wrong.
19. Always looking for the answers and knowledge: To have unanswered questions can be frustrating for an empath and they will endeavour to find an explanation. If they have a knowing about something they will look for confirmation. The downside to this is an information overload.
20. Likes adventure, freedom and travel: Empaths are free spirits.
21. Abhors clutter: It makes an empath feel weighed down and blocks the flow of energy.
22. Loves to daydream: An empath can stare into space for hours, in a world of their own and blissfully happy.
23. Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning: Anything that takes away their freedom is debilitating to an empath even poisoning.
24. Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating: The excess weight is a form of protection to stop the negative incoming energies having as much impact.
25. Excellent listener: An empath won’t talk about themselves much unless it’s to someone they really trust. They love to learn and know about others and genuinely care.
26. Intolerance to narcissism: Although kind and often very tolerant of others, empaths do not like to be around overly egotistical people, who put themselves first and refuse to consider another’s feelings or points of view other than their own.
27. The ability to feel the days of the week: An empath will get the ‘Friday Feeling’ if they work Fridays or not. They pick up on how the collective are feeling. The first couple of days of a long, bank holiday weekend (Easter for example) can feel, to them, like the world is smiling, calm and relaxed. Sunday evenings, Mondays and Tuesdays, of a working week, have a very heavy feeling.
28. Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand: Anything that’s been pre-owned carries the energy of the previous owner. An empath will even prefer to have a brand new car or house (if they are in the financial situation to do so) with no residual energy.
29. Sense the energy of food: Many empaths don’t like to eat meat or poultry because they can feel the vibrations of the animal (especially if the animal suffered), even if they like the taste.
30. Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected: Depending on how an empath is feeling will depend on what face they show to the world. They can be prone to mood swings and if they’ve taken on too much negative will appear quiet and unsociable, even miserable. An empath detests having to pretend to be happy when they’re sad, this only adds to their load (makes working in the service industry, when it’s service with a smile, very challenging) and can make them feel like scuttling under a stone.
Hope this helped you realize that you are not alone and that there are quite a bit of people who are also Empaths in this world. Stay tuned on my next blog post next Friday that will provide tips and tricks for the Empath!!